Pinpointe allows you to import your contacts from a spreadsheet. Pinpointe will read the data, then copy the contact information into a contact database you select. Make sure you have a database already created or create a new one.
Here are a few basic rules to get you ready.
Preparing Your Spread Sheet for Import
First, the top row in your spreadsheet needs to have the titles for each of your columns, also called fields. For example, if one column has your email addresses, the header row for that column should read "Email Address." In the example below, the header row includes "Last-Name," "First-Name," "State," "Phone," "Company," "Title," and "Industry."
Once you have checked your header row, you need to ensure that none of your data uses commas (i.e. ","). Data that uses commas will interfere with the way Pinpointe reads your spreadsheet. For most, this won't be an issue. You can delete any commas in your spreadsheet. If you absolutely need commas in your spreadsheet, Pinpointe allows you to change the field separator as described in later steps.
Otherwise, now you can save your spreadsheet in comma-separated value (.csv) format. This is called a CSV file. It's like a regular spreadsheet, except it has all the formatting (e.g. bold fonts, column sizes, etc.) removed. This allows Pinpointe to accurately and intelligently read the contact information inside.
All spreadsheet programs have this capability. On both Windows and Mac, you would typically go to the File menu, then select Save As. When it asks you for the format, you would choose Comma-Separated. (More detailed instructions for converting to CSV are available online.) You will then upload this CSV spreadsheet to Pinpointe.
Uploading Your CSV File
1. Click the 'Upload Contacts' icon link on the home screen.
or click the main "Contacts" tab and then select the "Import Contacts" option.
2. Now, on the "Import Contacts from a File" screen, select the contact database you'd like to import your spreadsheet's contacts into by clicking on it. Click the "Next>>" button when you are ready to proceed.
3. On the "Import Contacts from a File" page, you will fill out / change the required fields and select your CSV file from your local system for importing.
Moving your mouse's cursor over the small orange info icons will display expanded information about each field.
- Autoresponders: Unless you are familiar with using autoresponders in your campaign, we suggest you leave this option unchecked.
- Contains Headers: Earlier in this document, we ensured your spreadsheet has a header row. We recommend a header row for all your spreadsheet imports, so you can leave this box checked.
- Field Separator: Most people leave the default. In rare cases, you would change this setting if you absolutely need commas in your data and save your CSV file using a different separator.
- Field Enclosure: Most people leave the default. Pinpointe does not require field enclosure characters in your CSV file.
- Import File: Click the CSV icon (Click to browse files) to select your CSV file from your local system. Some people automatically generate CSV files. They can copy these files to a web server and pull them directly by choosing the Import a File From My Web Site option.
When the file is finished importing, click the "Next >>" button.
PLEASE NOTE: During the import process, the system will check the number of contacts you are trying to import versus your contact limit. If you are trying to import more contacts than you are permitted to based on your account level, you will see the following pop up panel:
Please follow the instructions to allow the system to discount any duplicates. If you are still over your account limit, please contact our support department at email@example.com or by clicking the "Support" tab at the bottom of your account web pages and submit a support ticket.
4. You are now on the "Import Contacts" page. This is where you can choose to create a list during the import process. This creates a list that would contain all the contacts you are importing into your database. You will note the "Add contacts to one or more lists" option is checked by default. We suggest you always create a list during importation. This provides you a complete history of all contacts you import into your database(s) segregated by each import event.
Pinpointe auto-creates a list name for you. You can elect to keep this name, or, you may click the "X" in the name input field to delete it, then click the grey "Create New List" button. This will bring up a pop-up panel that will allow you to create your own list name and give it an optional description (see image directly below).
You may also click anywhere in the name input field to see a drop down of all previously created lists. You may select one or more of these to add the contacts to as well. Just remember you can add contacts to more than one list if you so choose.
Once you are finished, click the "Next>>" button.
5. The next process is to ensure your CSV data is mapped correctly into your Pinpointe database.
- Overwrite Existing Details: Checking this box will allow Pinpointe to overwrite any fields for a contact that already exists in this database. For example, assume you have previously imported contacts into this database. As part of your contact information, you include telephone numbers. If you have captured a new phone number for a contact and elect to overwrite existing data, the new phone number will replace the previously imported number.
Please note: When this option is checked, the "select all" check box beneath the "Update" column heading will also be checked, as will all the check boxes for every field in the "Update" column. You can uncheck the "select all" box and then check only those specific fields you want to overwrite.
- Overwrite if empty: If this option is checked, any contact with an empty (null) value in your CSV file will overwrite any existing data for that same contact in your database.
- File Column: This column shows the column (field) header names in your CSV file.
- Pinpointe Field: This column shows the corresponding fields the system will try to automatically assign to match your CSV column headers. If the system cannot find an automatic match to the CSV header name, it will display "None" in the form filed. Clicking on this field will display a drop down list from which you can choose a match. Please note you do not have to import every column (field) from you CSV file with the exception of the email address column. If there is a column you do not wish to import, simply select "None" from the drop down menu to exclude it from being mapped over.
When you are finished, click the "Next>>" button.
6. On this next page, please enter your initials and then click the "Start Importing" button.
7. Once the import is complete, you will be presented with a brief summary of what transpired, such as number of contacts imported successfully to your selected database, if there were any duplicates, bounces, etc.
To view which imports were successfully imported to any list(s) you created and/or selected during the import process, please select the main "Contacts" tab, then the "Manage Lists" drop down option. You can then select whichever list you would like to view.
Congratulations! You have successfully imported your contacts into your Pinpointe database.