Via webhooks, Pinpointe makes it possible to integrate your own application with your Pinpointe email service account when tracking your subscribers' unsubscribes and email address bounces.
A webhook is an API concept that allows a service (Pinpointe) to provide another application (such as a URL you specify) near-real time information as it is created. For example, if one of your subscribers elects to submit a request to unsubscribe from one of your email lists, this information is processed at Pinpointe and the webhook then makes a POST request to your specified URL with the unsubscribe event's details.
Unlike a "traditional" API call that must be initiated by the requester (you), a webhook is essentially always on and will send data whenever the triggering event occurs. Pinpointe currently offers webhooks for two events: Unsubscribes and Bounces. Each webhook delivers a JSON-formatted payload to the URL destination you provide.
Implementing Webhooks in Your Pinpointe Account
1. Log in as your account's admin.
2. Under the primary "Admin" tab, select "Account Permissions".
3. You will now be on the Account Permissions page which will show a list of your user group(s). Click the box to the left of the user group you wish to enable webhooks for, then click "edit" to the far right.
4. You will now be on the Edit a User Group page.
In the "Account Permissions:" drop down box, scroll to the very bottom. There you will find the Webhooks checkbox. Check it and then click the "Save" button.
5. After clicking "Save", you will be returned to the Account Permissions page. Click on on the primary "Admin" tab and select the "Add-Ons Settings" option.
6. On the Settings page, you will find the "Webhooks" setting near the bottom. You should see a red "X" in the "Installed?" and "Enabled?" columns. Click the "X" to change it to a green check mark in both columns. After doing so, click the "Save" button.
7. Under the primary "Admin" tab, select "Account Settings".
8. You will now be on the Account Settings page which will list all your account users. Select the account user (if you have more than one user group, the account user you select must be in the user group you have enabled webhooks for) by checking the box next to the user name and then clicking "edit" for that user on the far right.
9. You will be redirected to the Edit a User Account page. Click the "Webhook Settings" tab.
10. You can now enter the url you wish the webhook to make a POST request to (send the data to). Enter the full-path URL into the respective field. You may send a test POST by clicking the appropriate button to confirm the webhook is working and sending data to the correct URL. Once you are satisfied with the webhook(s) operation, click "Save". The webhook setup is now complete.
PLEASE NOTE: Webhook triggering supports unsubscribes by contacts who choose to unsubscribe via link / form submission, and bounces where the system detects an actual bounce during an email delivery attempt. Webhooks do NOT trigger as the result of you, the user, changing a contact's status manually in the system via the contact edit page.
An example of the JSON payload for a Bounce:
Description of attributes:
An example of the JSON payload for an Unsubscribe:
Description of attributes: